maanantai 15. helmikuuta 2016

A quilt top for my parents

This is a christmas present for my parents a couple of years ago (2012).
I started the quilt as a railway fence lapquilt, in 2009. It laid unfinished in the closet, something was missing. And it was too small.
I searched for a nice border, but I had also run out of fabric. And the borders should fit to my parent's style. During that summer's holidays at home, a detail in the tiling of the floor caught my eyes:

 Here is a detail of the corner tile:


And here a close-up on the side borders:


I measured the size of the railway fence top, and calculated a reasonable size for each unit. Then I drew a cardbard template and reproduced the pattern on two-sided adhesive interface and ironed on the fabric. And then cutting. A lot of cutting.And then a LOT of appliqué.

This picture shows the finished top, and I quite like how it came out. It was quilted with stitch in the ditch on the center part and echo quilting in the border. It was bound witht he same dark green fabric as was used in the inner border.


The quilt found a permanent place on my parent's sofa and it fits exquisitely into the style of the house.

Now I feel I want to do some appliqué. What's udner your needle?

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti